FLUFFY TOWN

There was once Alpha House, its sketch-Club, and all around a big city full of sky scraped by concrete and glass, and in between, other 'itch-hickers' taking over galleries and the street! I'm going down, down, down, down... to Fluffy Town!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pacific Black(mail) Box


The forum Pacific Black Box was not a disaster, but it had its frustrating bits.
More than a month after its end, I finally received news from Taloi Havini, the head of Pacificblackbox inc. Only because I asked via email. Georgia McRae, the spokesperson, kept silent.
Not only did Georgia not acknowledge my input as a technical assistant in the Pacific Black Box (PBB) blog, did Taloi and her leave Buka without even saying good bye to me (too busy again for these formalities?) after three weeks of silence, did Taloi question my attitude in a mail to Stephen Mori, who raised more than 20 000 aud for the PBB forum. I was kept out of the project the whole time I was asked to partake it. In spite of the massive amount of paperwork Taloi and Georgia spent day and night to produce, I never got more than the timetables for the two first days and the program of the opening ceremony in my hands. Maybe the paper was too dear a raw material to be spoilt on keeping a mere assistant informed.
I cannot quite understand, especially a posteriori, at the retrospective view of what happened, why Taloi insisted so much on having me there. I was obviously a pain in the arse for her, any initiative of mine was out of place, like, for instance when I taught youth how to use a computer during their free (unsupervised!!!) time. I ended up being handed as least and as menial tasks as possible, like plugging and unplugging cables, setting up and packing up the projector for the evening gatherings while Georgia and Taloi earned a well deserved rest in their bedroom; I hardly partook the elaboration of the final video during the second week.
In Sydney, we agreed, Taloi, Stephen and I, that I would document the forum and bring back a short documentary we'd show at the Mori Gallery. Then, once in transit in Cairns, Georgia and Taloi made clear that filming was not a priority in my agenda. I was already asking too many questions, raising too many objections that upset them both. Woops. Finally, once arrived in Buka, I was gently blackmailed to give up filming lest my colonialist point of view of occidental woman prevails; I had to sign the working agreement all the facilitators were served with, so that all the images recorded remain the exclusive property of the PBB. It was that or quitting.
Well, call me occidental and colonialist if you want, after all, even if my ancestors were colonised indigenous dudes, background doesn't make one immune to the culture they're exposed to. But then, these adjectives are not less applicable to Taloi, Georgia, and everyone who has embraced the occidental, e.g. the Australian way to lead and rule an indigenous society, than to me. Now, working along with communities and minorities is the most fundamental aspect of my work as a video-maker. I have never released images without the expressed agreement of the persons concerned. I felt and still feel offended by the amount of ignorance and distrust displayed by the PBB organisers towards my work. I regret the impossibility of any dialogue under the continuous pretext that they were too busy; I deplore the censorship upon my point of view as an outsider; I wonder about the ideological control of the images produced during and after the forum.


The actual Pacificblackbox inc. seems to be on stand-by. Their blog hasn't been updated for nearly four weeks, and "Comments on this blog are restricted to team members", you're gently told if you or anyone tries to leave a message.
I wish I was wrong and too impatient and emotional about it. But I am pessimistic about the posterity of this forum now. Please, someone, prove me I am in the wrong!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop whining - it's unprofessional! You have done nothing but prove they are right!!!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home